Name:
Location: Teignmouth, Devon, United Kingdom

I'm married with two grown up children and four grandchildren, My wife of 47 years is Sue and we are the same age. My two children are Pamela (blogging occasionly under Pam-bigbustybikerbaby.blogspot.com and Roy,who was recently Paralysed from the waist down due to an Absys on his Spine. My 4 grandchildren are (oldest first) Gavin, Hayley, Thomas,and Zoe. Sue and I are both retired and we're disabled too, her with a badly Arthritic back and spine, me with lung (COPD) and Heart problems.I have always loved Fishing (all sorts) Sue started fishing with me about 8 years ago, now she really enjoys it too. We both love m'cycles and m'cycling, Sue owns and rides her own bike which is a Custom 1981 250 Honda.I own a 1979 Honda CX500. We are both members of this motorcycle club ( view or join our club on http://www.cx-gl.org.uk/) or see my blog post Dec 2007 blog "Getting old, never", of course we're badly resticted now due to our illness, only riding in really good weather.Just over three years ago we lost our best friend and Baby Mojo the border Collie, Gone but never forgotten. Please feel free to use any of our photo's but do let me know you have used them, thank you.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

THROUGH THE YEARS.


Pictures left to right,1 My Uncle Gerald 2nd photo, left my Mum , middle Geralds wife( Patricia) right my Grandma (Olive).Click any picture to enlarge.
I was born in a (was then) small hamlet in Shottery,just afew hundred yds from Anne Hathaways Cottage in Stratford Upon Avon, in the 1940s,I was a war baby, my father was American/Canadian(Ray Story) serving in the Forces over here.My mother married him 6 months before I was born and they lived together for a few months before he was posted back to the States. I think he asked my mother to go with him, but i'm not certain of this, Could be me making a nice story out of that. My mother and me lived firstly in a terraced hse with her parents,then we all moved to a brand new semi-detached a few hundred yards away I think I was about 5 then.My grandparents were still quite young themselves (probably around early 40s)at that time,my grand father(Alfred Palmer) worked for the firm of N. C. Josephs who ran a large Factory doing mostly steel pressing and polishing, he was basically employed as a lorry driver but got on so well with the main boss Barney Joseph that he spent an equal amount of time driving him around.B Joseph had decided a while before to branch out and buy ground to put houses on, one of these houses when built we moved into.I almost forgot to mention my mothers brother(Gerald) also lived with us, he was doing National Service at the time of the move, he was just 18 and more like an elder brother to me than an uncle (it remained like that until he died about12 yrs ago). In those days we had a lovely little village primary school(its still there) called Shottery C of E school,this school only had 3 classrooms they were 5 to7yrs - 7to9yrs - 9to11yrs I attended here from 4 years to 11 years of age.my Mother and Uncle had both spent a year or two there when the family first moved from Wiltshire, they were actually taught by a young student teacher called Miss M Fortescue who went on to become head teacher and then on to teach both me and later my children too. At about the time I went from junior to senior schools my grandmother(Olive) died, she had played mother to me most of the time ( mum had to go out to work) and was dearly missed. The school was only 100yds across the road from the house, which was handy for nipping home for dinner etc.I remember the teachers could never work out how,(for safety) in icy weather they would put salt on the slides we used to make, then the next morning the slide was back, I would run over at night and put a bucket of water down 12 or 14ft long for the slide. To see more from our family visit my daughters blog pam-bigbustybikerbaby.blogspot.com.

2 Comments:

Blogger Haddock said...

Did your dad ever return to the UK?

10:10 am  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Haddock, In answer to your question I'm not actually sure,my grand parents obviously were'nt comfortable with their Daughter getting pregnant,(frowned on in those days)and only allowed the Marriage for the sake of the baby (me).So he was never really spoken about when I was growing up.I've often thought of trying to trace him,but it would be difficult as i have no details of him at all,plus I would have been easy for him to find had he wanted to.(photo's and more in a later blog)Thanks for the visit. Bob

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home