Name:
Location: Teignmouth, Devon, United Kingdom

I'm married with two grown up children and four grandchildren, My wife of 47 years is Sue and we are the same age. My two children are Pamela (blogging occasionly under Pam-bigbustybikerbaby.blogspot.com and Roy,who was recently Paralysed from the waist down due to an Absys on his Spine. My 4 grandchildren are (oldest first) Gavin, Hayley, Thomas,and Zoe. Sue and I are both retired and we're disabled too, her with a badly Arthritic back and spine, me with lung (COPD) and Heart problems.I have always loved Fishing (all sorts) Sue started fishing with me about 8 years ago, now she really enjoys it too. We both love m'cycles and m'cycling, Sue owns and rides her own bike which is a Custom 1981 250 Honda.I own a 1979 Honda CX500. We are both members of this motorcycle club ( view or join our club on http://www.cx-gl.org.uk/) or see my blog post Dec 2007 blog "Getting old, never", of course we're badly resticted now due to our illness, only riding in really good weather.Just over three years ago we lost our best friend and Baby Mojo the border Collie, Gone but never forgotten. Please feel free to use any of our photo's but do let me know you have used them, thank you.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

COCKINGTON, DEVON.

Cockington is a beautiful little village, unbelievably just 1 mile outside of the bustling seaside town of Torquay, here in S Devon.Cockington is reputed to be the most photographed village in the country. Some of the village itself and its Church and Manor date back to at least the 12th century. The village itself is now a Country Park which covers around 460 Acres and has a small resident population. The lovely old Cockington Manor and most of the Parish was at one time owned by the "Lord of the Manor" Mr C H Mallock, who until around 1900s resided in the Manor house, he also owned and lived in the very large, expensive and extremely beautiful cliff side Villa called Silvermead House.The village stands in stunning countryside with a lovely old Church, Pub, Keepers cottage, Saw Mills with a Water wheel, a School house and a well preserved 14th century Blacksmiths Forge.It has lovely gardens and Stables, these house the carriage Horses, these Carriages can be hired to be travel around and view the whole village.
About 6 weeks ago Sue, I and two of our Campsite friends George and his wife Lyn went Cockington for a day out, on arrival we walked all through the village, on up the long tree lined Avenue to the Manor House, stopping of course for a cuppa on the way, these then are some of the photo's we took.
Apologies for the first picture it was into the sun.
I must thank BBC Devon for the last few photo's.
Do please click on any photo to enlarge it.
Below this is a close up of the "Smithy's Forge" it was in constant use until quite recently.It has quite a collection of "Horse Brasses" for sale here too.
Below, Myself and George walk around the lovely water garden in the "Olde worlde Cafe".
Below one of the many Thatched cottages that abound the village.
This picture of the "Smithy's Forge"shows the Thatch and its unique shape, notice the wooden dogs leg front support.
Below, This old barn is used by the cafe as a shelter either in hot or wet weather.When we went a few years back the fine old flour grinding water wheel was in use, now it and its pool has fallen into disrepair and is quite unsightly which is a shame.
This is one of two pictures of the inside of Cockington Church. This was according to the Doomsday book possibly the site of a chapel from Saxon times, according to it the Lord of the time would have had his chapel here possibly. In 1203 the Manor of Cockinton was leased from the Welsh Monks to "Torre Abbey". The oldest part of the Church still standing is the "Norman Tower" dating from around 1220 and has walls 6 ft thick in places.
Again the inside of the Church, there is a story that still circulates that the "Pulpit"came from a Spanish "Armada"Galleon captured in 1588.
These are the BBC pictures. Below is the Church, this is just yards from the main Manor house.
This beautiful cottage stands guard on the the main gate leading up to Cockington Manor.
Below, Cockington Manor itself, the church lies just out of picture to the left. So why not visit here,for a walk through the lovely narrow tree lined streets, overlooked by Thatched Cottages. Maybe a stroll around the manor estate taking in the lakes, which were reputedly built by the Monks living in Torre Abbey to supply them with fresh Fish. Before leaving do visit one of the idyllic Tea gardens and enjoy a "Real Devon Cream Tea".
Joke of the day.
A WOMAN'S POEM:

Before I lay me down to sleep,

I pray for a man, who's not a creep,

One who's handsome, smart and strong.

One who loves to listen long,

One who thinks before he speaks,

One who'll call, not wait for weeks.

I pray he's gainfully employed,

When I spend his cash, won't be annoyed.

Pulls out my chair and opens my door.

Massages my back and begs to do more.

Oh! Send me a man who'll make love to my mind,

Knows what to answer to, 'how big is my behind?'

I pray that this man will love me no end,

And always be my very best friend.

A MAN'S POEM:

I pray for a deaf-mute gymnast nymphomaniac with

huge boobs who owns a bar on a golf course,

and loves to send me fishing and drinking and biking. This

doesn't rhyme and I don't give a s**t.



1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Gday Bob, Lovely pics of a old village..now thats something I would love to see and walk around. I love the olde church stained glass windows...

11:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home