Name:
Location: Teignmouth, Devon, United Kingdom

I'm married with two grown up children and four grandchildren, My wife of 47 years is Sue and we are the same age. My two children are Pamela (blogging occasionly under Pam-bigbustybikerbaby.blogspot.com and Roy,who was recently Paralysed from the waist down due to an Absys on his Spine. My 4 grandchildren are (oldest first) Gavin, Hayley, Thomas,and Zoe. Sue and I are both retired and we're disabled too, her with a badly Arthritic back and spine, me with lung (COPD) and Heart problems.I have always loved Fishing (all sorts) Sue started fishing with me about 8 years ago, now she really enjoys it too. We both love m'cycles and m'cycling, Sue owns and rides her own bike which is a Custom 1981 250 Honda.I own a 1979 Honda CX500. We are both members of this motorcycle club ( view or join our club on http://www.cx-gl.org.uk/) or see my blog post Dec 2007 blog "Getting old, never", of course we're badly resticted now due to our illness, only riding in really good weather.Just over three years ago we lost our best friend and Baby Mojo the border Collie, Gone but never forgotten. Please feel free to use any of our photo's but do let me know you have used them, thank you.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

THE DORSET STEAM FAIR. Part 1.

So here we are the "Dorset Steam Fair" blog.
Firstly I must mention the fact that I would not have even have been at this wonderful show had it not been for "ITV Meridian". I should explain that a couple of weeks before the show I had an invitation from them to attend the show as their guest, to travel the show, use their hospitality features, perhaps meet presenters and production staff, have access to their expertise and top class Camera's, in return they simply wanted me to create a bloggers report that would feature on the ITV local website. I'm afraid after careful consideration I declined this kind and wonderful opportunity. It meant that having travelled up to Dorset with Sue i would have to leave her alone with total strangers for a couple of hours. Plus Sue is my "Camera person", it wouldn't be my blog without her being a part of it. In fairness they bent over backwards to accommodate us, offering Sue to come with me. I am not a great mixer this also was a worry as i was to pair up with another blogger to share idea's and views. Also I am but a very average blogger and also felt I might not be up to what they had wanted, a complete lack of self confidence I suppose, anyway a missed opportunity. As it happened the show was so vast that I had to stop sit down and rest on several occasions during the day, this would have been a bloody nuisance to the blogger who had to partner me. ( maybe I could have been famous, ha ha), so hell lets get on with it. The showground covers over 600 acres and during this years show had over 250,000 people pass through the gates, yep thats a quarter of a million.If you have never been, GO NEXT YEAR its stunning. Their is something for every member of the family (the kids will love the huge funfairs) and just so much you cant possibly see it all in one day. Sue took over 200 photo's so This blog will probably be in 3 parts, (sorry if its not your thing).
The picture below is of one of the many organs that played all around the site. In a later blog I will post a couple of video's so you may hear them too.
Please do click on any picture to enlarge its detail.


Here is a lovely clean working Steam engine, these engines are so clean and well kept, especially so when you think they burn Coal !!!.
Here a tradional Woodcarver demonstates his age old skills using a very primitive but effective wood turning lathe, worked treadle like.Their were also Thatchers and Shoemakers too.



Below a park full of Vintage and Classic cars and light vans. Every day each vehicle paraded the Arena. Notice how far into the distance this huge show goes, I was absolutely amazed when we arrived.
Sue here with a real beauty of a shire horse. For you "Horsey" types there are horses and ponies, of all shapes and sizes.
Below, a view of part of the field full of commercial vehicles, Lorries, Tow Trucks, Vans, Coaches, Buses of all years, all looked fabulous, and parading around the arena twice daily every day of the show.
Below just a few of the "Car Boot"style sale tents, there must have been hundreds of them. Selling everything from car parts to washing machines and parts, Computer bits and bobs, jewelery, paintings, Electrical items, Wooden Items, DVDs, CDs, you name it it was there.
Shown here (below) Agricultural Tractors dozens of them, all ages, all shapes, all sizes.
Below just one of dozens of Romany type Caravans on show, at least 80% of which were used by the owners as their homes, at least for the duration of the show.
This has to be one of the best days out Sue and I have ever had. To say it was brilliant is an understatement, please please put it down on your next years must do list, you will not be dissapointed i promise. There are full Caravan and camping facilities on site so remember SEPT 2 nd to 6th 2009.
Joke of the Day.

THE OLDER WOMAN
I ended up with an older woman at a club last night.
She looked OK for a 61year-old.
In fact, she wasn't too bad at all, and I found myself thinking that she probably had a hot daughter back at home.
We drank a bit, and had a bit of a snuggle and cuddle, and then she asked if I'd ever had a Sportsman's Double.
'What's that?' I asked
'It's a mother and daughter threesome,' she said.
I said, 'No' -excitedly.
We drank a bit more, then she said that tonight was 'my lucky night'.
so off we went back to her place. When we arrived She opened the door put on the hall light and shouted upstairs:
'Mum, you still awake?'

2 Comments:

Blogger bob mullen said...

Looks a good one that we have one up here called the Flookborough steam gathering but it aint nowhere near as big as that one looks. I may just have a run down next year.

3:41 pm  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi Bob, Yea 630 acres, over a quarter of a million people so I suppose its BIG. We are looking to stay overnight next year to see it all.

6:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home