Name:
Location: Teignmouth, Devon, United Kingdom

I'm married with two grown up children and four grandchildren, My wife of 47 years is Sue and we are the same age. My two children are Pamela (blogging occasionly under Pam-bigbustybikerbaby.blogspot.com and Roy,who was recently Paralysed from the waist down due to an Absys on his Spine. My 4 grandchildren are (oldest first) Gavin, Hayley, Thomas,and Zoe. Sue and I are both retired and we're disabled too, her with a badly Arthritic back and spine, me with lung (COPD) and Heart problems.I have always loved Fishing (all sorts) Sue started fishing with me about 8 years ago, now she really enjoys it too. We both love m'cycles and m'cycling, Sue owns and rides her own bike which is a Custom 1981 250 Honda.I own a 1979 Honda CX500. We are both members of this motorcycle club ( view or join our club on http://www.cx-gl.org.uk/) or see my blog post Dec 2007 blog "Getting old, never", of course we're badly resticted now due to our illness, only riding in really good weather.Just over three years ago we lost our best friend and Baby Mojo the border Collie, Gone but never forgotten. Please feel free to use any of our photo's but do let me know you have used them, thank you.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

A RIGHT OLD MESS.

This blog is all about the state of our old house at the moment.The house itself was built around 1898 to 1903, 1898 was the time that the first house of our whole two Terraced rows (60 houses) was started and the last one completed in 1903.During the second war the middle of the terrace received direct bomb hits (trying to knock out the nearby rail line to Plymouth), these had to be rebuilt and quite a few others repaired.
During the last few years we have had for one reason or another, been having quite a problem with Damp. The local Council along with a couple of other bodies check out people with health problems and the very old or infirm people (Sue says I fit both !!, bloody cheek).They agreed to Double glaze my Lounge window and do Roof and wall insulation too. Sue and I decided that during this upheaval that they had better address the damp problem too.The builders asked us if we could move out for a couple of weeks during this work, this we have done.
Below,This is the Toilet/ utility room, this was originally two external area's, one a coal shed the other a toilet, long before we moved in the walls between each and the external wall joining them to the house was removed, making them a useful extension of the house. The problem was they are single brick, not cavity walled, so hence Damp.
Another picture of the Utility room, with all the plaster removed ready for renovation.
Below, the dining room where damp had spread to the bottom of the internal wall.
This picture is of the dining room, the whole external wall had to be stripped of plaster, sealed and replastered.Here they have stripped and damp proofed ready for replastering.
Below, The bottom of the lounge window, which is being replastered and replaced with a double glazed unit.
Below is a picture taken in the Lounge alongside the chimney breast, the crack here has been getting wider over the past few years.

We took these pictures a fortnight ago, the work is now nearly complete, the foreman says 4-5 more days ,then we have to start the job of decorating and I really hate and loathe that job.
Anybody fancy a free holiday in Devon for a few days Decorating (I wish).
Joke of the day.
Today I decided to do something a bit different, so please view this film clip and see what you think, personally I think you would have to be mad to film or even walk it, but WHO the bloody hell BUILT it!!!!.Sorry about being in a foreign language.

http://www.skoften.net/index/item/doodswens_3

3 Comments:

Blogger bob mullen said...

You have got your work cut out there mate. good luck!

12:53 pm  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Gday Bob,You sure A lot of work getting things back in order, if I lived closer would offer to help. "Many hands make light work"

Oh my God that walk no thank you..

6:36 am  
Blogger Shammickite said...

So that's where you've been hiding!
WOW that's a lot of renovations, you are very lucky if the council will foot the bill. I'd love to come and paint and wallpaper but I've just come back from England, can't afford to go again!

12:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home