Name:
Location: Teignmouth, Devon, United Kingdom

I'm married with two grown up children and four grandchildren, My wife of 47 years is Sue and we are the same age. My two children are Pamela (blogging occasionly under Pam-bigbustybikerbaby.blogspot.com and Roy,who was recently Paralysed from the waist down due to an Absys on his Spine. My 4 grandchildren are (oldest first) Gavin, Hayley, Thomas,and Zoe. Sue and I are both retired and we're disabled too, her with a badly Arthritic back and spine, me with lung (COPD) and Heart problems.I have always loved Fishing (all sorts) Sue started fishing with me about 8 years ago, now she really enjoys it too. We both love m'cycles and m'cycling, Sue owns and rides her own bike which is a Custom 1981 250 Honda.I own a 1979 Honda CX500. We are both members of this motorcycle club ( view or join our club on http://www.cx-gl.org.uk/) or see my blog post Dec 2007 blog "Getting old, never", of course we're badly resticted now due to our illness, only riding in really good weather.Just over three years ago we lost our best friend and Baby Mojo the border Collie, Gone but never forgotten. Please feel free to use any of our photo's but do let me know you have used them, thank you.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

AT LONG LONG LAST.

On Monday at last everything just about came together.I am of course talking about our motorcycles, we hadn't had both on the road together until now for over a year. There were lots of reasons why one or the other was not available to ride, but now except for a lot of hard cleaning they are ready. After taxing Sue's bike (250cc) on Saturday we were just waiting for decent weather and on Monday we got it. So a short 15 mile each way acclimatising trip was planned, around the local area as far as Barnstaple then back on the Scenic route.
When we arrived back we were both cream crackered after such a long lay off from riding but we really enjoyed ourselves. So when the weather forecast for Tuesday was good then a longer ride was worked out.We decided to go Blackmoor gate, then on to South Molton, from there across on the country roads ending up in Lynton/Lynmouth, then after an hour or two for lunch etc, ride back to the van. This we did and here are a few photo's we took. For more details of Lynton/Lynemouth see my blog of the same name on 23/7/07 or go to this website. http://www.whatsonexmoor.co.uk/villages/Lynton.htm
This photo is of the main street leading through the town or village, I must admit to not being sure into which category it falls?.
This photo (above)shows the narrow little streets here in the village/town of Lynton, although merged hand in fist with its sister village/town Lynmouth it is nowhere near as famous.
Another shot (above) of the main street, this little village boasts two supermarkets a Cinema, a town hall and its own little museum, plus of course the famous cliff railway.
Above this steep narrow little street is typical of lots of streets here. These two villages were probably made famous by Napoleon, because during the Napoleonic wars Brits were denied their usual Continental holiday haunts so had to find pleasant holiday areas here rather than abroad.
The poet Shelley spent several months here and in fact named the area "little Switzerland", other famous writer/poets who spent time here included Coleridge and Wordsworth.
This photo is of the high walled walk that leads either down the very very steep hill to Lynmouth, or along the coast wall to the "Valley of the Rocks". Also just around the corner is the Cliff railway.
Above, The Cliff Railway car just as its about to starts its steep, perilous looking journey.
Above, Its off on its journey.
Here at the top looking downward, as you can see its steep and a long way down,approx 500 feet.

Here we are our transport. The loves of our lives, nearest the camera my 1979 Honda CX500, then Sue's 1981 Honda CM250T, shown here on Exmoor when we stopped for nature calls. They are both starting to look how we want them but there is still a long way to go yet.
Do click on any photo to enlarge it.

Joke of the day.

THE YEAR'S BEST HEADLINES OF 2007:


(Yes, they were really printed as seen here.)

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
Now that's taking things a bit far!

Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
What a guy!

Miners Refuse to Work after Death
No-good-for-nothing' lazy so-and-sos!

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
See if that works any better than a fair trial!

War Dims Hope for Peace
I can see where it might have that effect!

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile
Ya think?!

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
Who would have thought!

Enfield ( London ) Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
They may be on to something!

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges
You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?!

Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge
He probably IS the battery charge

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
Weren't they fat enough?!

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft
That's what he gets for eating those beans!

Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
Do they taste like chicken?

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
Chainsaw Massacre all over again!

Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
Boy, are they tall!

And the winner is....

Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
Did I read that right?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you both had a couple of fantastic days! Weather behaving too! I'd like to go for a bike ride... my husband has always fancied a bike but never actually done anything about it. Having said that he has loved fishing all of his lfe and only started actively fishing again 2 years ago so there is hope yet!
My dads dog chases motorbikes... not sure why. One of these days I should let her go to see what she does. :o)
(I have an image of her grabbing the exhaust pipe and giving it a good shake! ;o)
.
Looking forward to more biking tales!

12:12 pm  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Lynmouth looks lovely, I just love the steep windy street. Before my knee replacement it would have been a 'no-no' but I would love to walk up and down it now.

The headlines made me chuckle.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment, I hope you'll call in again. :)

4:56 pm  
Blogger Shammickite said...

You really know how to make me homesick, doncha????
The first time I went on the Cliff Railway, I was a small child in my mothers arms and I cried and carried on so much that I popped some of the buttons of the front of my mother's dress!!!! She never let me forget it!

3:50 pm  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Gday bob. Lynmouth looks a lovely place to ride through those narrow streets,i would love to stroll through and look in all the shops. but ohh no you wouldnt get me on that steep rail. Hope you have a lot of fun on those bikesand many hrs of travel.. take care Bob keep well, Jen

12:48 pm  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi All, Just got back, thank you all for visiting.
Daffy, Please dont let your dog bite a bikes exhaust as they get VERY VERY hot.Never mind the old man get out there and get your own!!!.
akelamula.
As you have probably seen Sue too has had a Knee replacement and has never looked back.
Ex Shammy,
It sure is steep, I am much better now but I still wouldn't want to walk up it.
Jeannette,
When the weather here is good there is nowhere better on earth but and thats the word!!when its not its blo..y awful.
Daz, If you want those CM shots e-mail me.
Bob.

6:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home